AAP-CA is comprised of AAP California Chapters 1, 3 and 4 and represents more than 3,000 primary care and subspecialty pediatricians across California. We are committed to the attainment of optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults living in California.
AAP-CA local chapters advocate together at the state level on hundreds of legislative bills each year, as well as on statewide ballot measures and in court cases on behalf of pediatricians and children. United, AAP-CA Chapters present a collective voice in Sacramento and represent California pediatricians and children on key policy initiatives.
AAP-CA serves as a point of contact for lawmakers, state agency staff, child healthcare advocacy organizations and the media. We collaborate on a variety of activities that support the health of children including the allocation of state budget resources.
AAP-CA is a partner in the education and training of pediatric residents on public policy issues and providing advocacy leadership opportunities. Working with the California residency programs, AAP-CA hosts an annual Advocacy Day event at the State Capitol featuring addresses from members of the State Legislature, facilitated issue discussions, and arranging appointments with their legislator and staff.
2021-2022 Legislative Session – Priority Issue Area Highlights
- Vaccines: AAP-CA supported several vaccine related bills this year. AB 1797 has been signed by the Governor which will establish a registry and the disclosure of specified immunization information.
- Mental & Behavioral Health: AAP-CA supported several initiatives including suicide prevention, greater access to counseling services, and social media regulations.
- Environmental Health: Children living in poverty-stricken areas bear a higher burden of environmental hazards. AAP-CA supported initiatives to reduce lead in water, cleaner air efforts and establishment of the Children’s Environmental Health Month in October.
- Injury & Violence Prevention: AAP-CA sponsored bill SB 855 was signed by the Governor and will create a childhood drowning data collection program for analysis in the effort to develop a comprehensive California Water Safety Action plan.
- Firearm Safety: AAP-CA supported several bills that will provide greater safety and protections, strengthen storage requirements, and reduce access to firearms.
- Ban on Flavored Tobacco Products: AAP-CA is a sponsor of Proposition 31 which will prohibit the sale of flavored tobacco products to persons under 21 years.
- Access to Healthcare Coverage: AAP-CA leadership is actively involved in state agency and child health advocate advisory group discussions on state budget allocations to programs impacting children’s behavioral health, general healthcare, social services, and childcare.
To view the final list of 2021-2022 legislative bills with AAP-CA positions, support letters and analysis, click here.